Monday, May 18, 2015

"My Lovely Blog" Blog Hop

 
Author Kim Scott
 
I’ve been tagged by author Kim Scott (you can check out her blog at http://www.kimscottbooks.com/apps/blog) as a participant in the ‘My Lovely Blog’ blog hop.  Thanks, Kim.
 
And now for the answers you've all been waiting for.   DRUM ROLL PLEASE

First Memory  
 
At the young age of 4, I was playing in front of our house with the other children.  My mom was sitting on the front stairs, talking with the other moms when a dad walking a St. Bernard headed towards our little group.  We squealed with delight when told we could ride the dog, and one by one, each of my little friends was put on the back of the St. Bernard who then walked to the corner of the block and back again.  By the time it was my turn, the dog must have either been tired or resentful of being used as a horse, because he threw me to the ground and bit my neck.  And that is the reason why I am not an animal lover.
 
Books
 
My love for books began with my first grade reader “Mac and Muff” - See Mac run.  See Muff run.  I don’t recall the titles of any other grade school readers, but I do remember quite a few required reading novels while in high school:  Ivanhoe, Silas Marner, To Have and to Hold, to name but a few.  Sir Walter Scott, George Eliot and Mary Johnston created a visual world for an impressionable young mind to explore.
 

Being fascinated with historical figures throughout the ages, my recreational reading might be considered required texts for history courses.  Favorites include Cleopatra, Julius Caesar, Alfred the Great, Richard III, Elizabeth I, Cesare and Lucrezia Borgia, Henry VIII and so on - too many favorites to list.
 

An excellent find was discovering Frans G. Bengtsson’s The Long Ships and, more recently, Roma: A Novel of Ancient Rome by Steven Saylor.  Thank you, Amazon, for your category menus - such a wonderful selection of talented authors.
 
 
Libraries or Bookshops
 
While growing up, most of my time was spent in the library, but with the advent of the mall, bookshops popped up and, suddenly, you could easily purchase a favorite book not readily available in the local library.
 
Yonkers, NY Public Library, Main Branch

Bookshops not only market best sellers and new releases, they offer bargain books on a variety of topics, which is how I built my medieval library.  Imagine me doing a happy dance when I came upon an illustrated copy of the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles on one of the shelves.

 
It’s fun to browse a retail bookstore - you never know what gems you will find.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Learning
 
I was an average student during my high school years and after graduation, I studied medical technology in a year-long program.  Working in the field for several years was rewarding, but I decided upon a different career path, studying business administration.  I was either a late bloomer or my interests had changed, because I graduated with honors with a B.S. degree.
 

Since writing-related courses was not part of the curriculum, I signed up for creative writing workshops and took non-credit writing courses throughout the years.  I continue to hone my craft and am currently enrolled in an on-line writing course at Future Learn.  And yes, I’m still having fun.
 
 
What's Your Passion
 
First is my love for family - number one priority in my life.  You can find me in the stands at all sporting events and dance competitions, cheering on my grandchildren.  It doesn’t get any better than that.

 
Second is my passionate support of the United States Military.  Freedom is not free and we must never forget the sacrifices of the men and women who protect our country, and I have dedicated my novels to our fallen soldiers.
 

Next is my passion for history.  When I visited Rome a few years ago, I went to the Forum and stood where Julius Caesar stood and walked the coliseum where so many people died.  One could envision how it must have looked during the Empire’s glorious days.  Touching stones over two thousand years gives me Goosebumps.
 

Lastly, but not least, is my writing career.  There’s nothing better than having a reader enjoy a story you have written.  While mere man returns to dust, his words live forever.
 

And now it’s time for me to pass on the baton to author K. Meador (http://inthemidst-km.blogspot.com).
Author K. Meador

 


2 comments:

  1. Great post! Fabulous books! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your support, Brenda. Very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete